Health & Safety During COVID-19:
Additional Policies, Protocols, & Information
Admissions visits, interviews, and tours will be conducted on an individual basis by appointment only.
Athletics & Extra-Curricular Activities
Athletic practices and contests will be determined by OHSAA guidelines. Please see the Athletics page for information. The school has phased plans for students to return to athletic training and practices safely following the Governor’s orders for responsible restart and guidelines published by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Students must be present in their classes, either remotely or in-person, in order to participate in after school / extra-curricular activities.
Attendance Policies & Procedures
For in-person students, attendance policies remain unchanged: all absences and late arrivals/early departures must be called/emailed in to the Attendance Office by a parent/guardian.
For SOLE (Synchronous Online Learning Environment) students, the attendance policy and procedures are as follows:
- Students utilizing synchronous online learning are counted as present if they attend their classes using Office Suite HD.
- Students must be logged into their class at the beginning of class in order to be present.
- Students must have the video (web camera) turned on and the student must be visible in order for the student to be considered present.
- Parent/guardian must give at least one school day’s advance notice to the Attendance Office if their student is going to participate in SOLE for an extended period of time.
If a student is going to stay home and begin the 2020-2021 school year using the Synchronous Online Learning Environment (SOLE), the parent/guardian must notify the school office by July 31. The parent/guardian must complete a digital form indicating their student's intent to learn online. This form will be emailed with the back-to-school information at the end of July.
Students will return to school this fall over a 5-day time period in order to implement new training and safety protocols for COVID-19. Back-to-School Days are full days that begin at 8:30 AM and end at 3:30 PM.
Monday, August 17th - Senior and Junior Orientation
Tuesday, August 18th - Sophomore Orientation
Wednesday, August 19th - Freshman (Last names A through K) Orientation
Thursday, August 20th - Freshman (Last names L through Z) Orientation
Friday, August 21st - All Students in Attendance
Care Management Team
In recognition that the COVID-19 crisis has and will continue to present unique challenges for students, Lutheran East has initiated a Care Management Team to provide proactive care for students regarding their social, emotional, and physical wellbeing. The output of the to provide proactive care for students regarding their social, emotional, and physical wellbeing. The output of the Care Management Team will be, as needed, specific care management plans for students who require additional assistance.
In order to limit the largest student gatherings at Lutheran East, we have made some necessary changes to our chapel worship schedule. During the 2020-2021 school year, an extended worship chapel service will be held once per week on Wednesdays. To maximize social distancing, half of the student body will attend chapel in-person in the Auditorium while the other half will attend chapel in the gym for a live-streamed service.Students will alternate weeks between the auditorium and gym to best meet the spiritual needs of our school community.
Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures
The Lutheran East school day officially begins at 8:30 AM and concludes at 3:30 PM. Out of consideration for our families and the health and safety of our students we will follow the schedule and procedures below concerning arrival and dismissal.
- All students will have their temperature taken when entering the building. Students with an elevated temperature will report the quarantine room for a secondary temperature reading. Students with an elevated temperature will follow the school’s quarantine procedures.
- The building will open at 7:15 AM for early arrival. Students arriving early are required to report to the cafeteria and will need to follow Lutheran East's policies regarding social distancing and masks.
- At 8:00 AM a bell will ring directing students to report to their first period classroom. Students arriving after 8:00 AM are required to report to their first period classroom upon arrival.
- At 3:30 PM when school ends, student dismissal will be staggered alphabetically to maximize social distancing. Students are required to leave campus immediately following dismissal or report directly to their scheduled extra-curricular activity. At 4:00 PM all students remaining in the building are required to report to the cafeteria until their ride arrives and then depart from the building no later than 4:30 PM.
- Students who require or would like extra help from a teacher after school must schedule that help with the teacher. Extra help will take place in the cafeteria until 4:30 PM. Family Member or Co-habitant COVID-19 Expsoure or DiagnosisIf a family member or co-habitant of the student has had known exposure and/or diagnosis of COVID-19, the family must complete the Online Disclosure Form and follow the quarantine policy. Liability ReleaseEvery student (or parent/guardian representative of the student) at Lutheran East must sign a COVID-19 release form / waiver to attend school for the 2020-2021 school year. Lunch & Cafeteria ProtocolsLutheran East kitchen staff is food safety certified and trained. In addition, the following measures have been put into place to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission:- Students will eat lunch in the lunchroom during their normally scheduled lunch period.- Social distancing will occur throughout the lunch line, with visual cues (signage and floor stickers) used as reminders- Increased distancing and plexiglass shields will be used in lunchroom- Trained cafeteria workers will be the only school personnel serving food to students and will utilize appropriate PPE- Students will not be able to move around the lunchroom once they are seated until the bell rings for dismissal- Students will not be required to use masks while eating- Student must use their plexiglass shield while eating- Dismissal from the cafeteria will be done in an orderly manner in order to maximize social distancing.Main OfficeReception seating areas will be eliminated, visitors must schedule/phone ahead, and a plastic partition will be installed at the reception area. Plexiglass ShieldsUpon arrival to 1st period, students will receive their plexiglass shield for the day. Students will carry that same shield throughout the day, including lunch. At the end of the day, students will leave the shield set up in their last classroom of the day. The shield will be sanitized overnight by school personnel. School staff will ensure that there are the proper number of shields in first period classes each morning. Quarantine PolicyDiagnosed or Exposure to COVID-19: Families and staff must notify school if they have been exposed to COVID-19 and/or are quarantined, or if a co-habitant has been diagnosed with or medically presumed to have COVID-19 and/or is being isolated. The school will notify the local health department of all cases. Families should complete the Online Disclosure Form here.Quarantine and Return to School: Personnel and students with known exposure to someone with diagnosed or presumed COVID-19 must self-quarantine for 10 days. Students and personnel with confirmed or presumed COVID-19 must meet these conditions prior to returning to school:- Fever is resolved without the use of fever-reducing medication for 72 hours- Respiratory symptoms (cough, shortness of breath) improve- The person has a negative COVID-19 test result and submits a copy of it to the school.Remote Learning / SOLEFor the 2020-2021 school year, Lutheran East will be offering as an option a Synchronous Online Learning Environment (SOLE). During the summer, all classrooms were outfitted with high-resolution cameras and microphones, allowing students to tune in live to their classes during the school day, per their regular class period schedule. Students may opt to utilize exclusively in-person learning, exclusively SOLE, or utilize SOLE when necessary. Attendance policies for SOLE students can be found in the Attendance section above.School Building HoursThe school building will be open from 7:15 AM to 4:30 PM. Students may remain in the building after 4:00 PM if they are involved in an extra-curricular activity after school or are staying for extra help in the library. At 4:30 PM, all students not in an extra-curricular after-school activity must exit the building. Students will be required to leave the building promptly at that time. School Sanitizing PlanA detailed cleaning and sanitation plan has been developed for all school facilities. The plan is based upon the following guiding principles:- Masks and gloves must be worn and proper training for COVID-19 should be provided to all custodial staff. - Classroom surfaces will be disinfected after use by students. - Like classrooms, all bathrooms and other common spaces will be properly disinfected on a frequent and regular basis.- The school will establish sanitizing schedules and protocols for cleaning surfaces in all areas of the building including checklists for before and after school.- HVAC systems will be regularly inspected, monitored, and cleaned. TransportationGuidelines are still in the process of being finalized. Transportation will be limited based on bus capacity and following social distancing guidelines. At this time, it is expected that transportation policies will include the following:- Students are required to perform a temperature self-check at home, lower than 100.4, prior to getting on a school bus.- Drivers and all students are required to wear face masks to ride the bus. - Students will be required to use hand sanitizer when boarding the bus.- Assigned seats will be given to each student.- Ideally, number of riders will decrease to allow for 1 student per seat (exception: members of the same household may sit together).- Seats and high-touch surfaces will be sanitized between each bus route.