The Honors Academy at Lutheran East
The Lutheran East Honors Academy is a rigorous academic academy within the program offerings of Lutheran High School East. Its goal is to identify driven, high-achieving students and encourage and push them to become leaders in their school, family and community. Honors Academy students have the opportunity to partake in cultural events around the Cleveland area, serve the greater community and world, interact with community leaders, and intern with dedicated professionals while taking a challenging course load. Honors Academy students develop into lifelong, holistic learners who continue to strive for high achievement after their high school years.
The Honors Academy at Lutheran East was founded in 2018 with the goal of providing opportunities to high-achieving, dedicated students that will bolster their college applications, help them grow into well-rounded young adults, and help them to better compete nationally to be accepted into the colleges and universities of their choice.
Components of the Honors Academy include:
- Rigorous, challenging course load including Honors/AP/CCP courses
- Maintenance of a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Community service
- College tour
- Cultural activities
- Campus Activities
- Leadership positions
Specifications for Honors Academy membership:
- Maintenance of a minimum 3.5 GPA per semester (one semester below a 3.5 GPA will result in the student being placed on
Honors Academy Academic Probation; two semesters below a 3.5 GPA may result in dismissal from the Honors Academy.)
- Minimum 10 credits in Honors/CCP coursework over 4 years
- Minimum of 25 hours of community service work per year (opportunities made available throughout the school year and summer; all service hours must be pre-approved by the Dean of the Honors Academy and documented)
- "B" average or higher in Honors Seminar
- Participation in Honors Academy cultural activities and trips
(attend a minimum of 50% of the off-campus events organized by the Honors Academy)
- Participation in shadow days and/or internships
Application & Eligibility
Students are eligible to apply to the Honors Academy upon acceptance to Lutheran East, at the end of each semester of their freshman year, or at the end of 1st semester of their sophomore year. Students who apply must:
- Complete our Honors Academy Application
- Submit 1 strong teacher recommendation
- Submit 1 strong personal character reference
- Test into a minimum of 2 of the following 3 Honors Courses as freshmen: Math, English, or History
- Incoming Freshmen: transcript must show a minimum of B’s or higher from 8th grade.
- Current students: must have achieved a minimum of a 3.5 GPA from the previous semester.
Please direct all questions about the Lutheran East Honors Academy, the application process, or requirements to Ms. Begin or Ms. Drazen, Deans of the Honors Academy: